The evidence of aging can be seen in your hands, and it’s oftentimes the area where you notice aging first (even before your face). That’s because the skin on your hands is thin and fragile, with only small amounts of fat, and a minor decrease in elastin fibers and collagen is noticeable.
You may notice these changes to your hands as they age:
- Crepe-like texture
- Visible appearance of tendons
- Bulging veins
- Sun damage
- Pigmentation changes
What can be done?
Don’t get discouraged. There are medical spa treatments that provide cosmetic benefits, including softness and improved suppleness.
• Dermal filler hand renewal is used to counteract the ropey appearance of veins in aging hands.
Dermal fillers are injected into the skin and they work by drawing in and holding water. They work to plump the skin on the hands by bulking the layers below the skin with water, and this creates softer and smoother hands. Dermal filler benefits are seen immediately and regular treatments will be needed for maintenance. Improvements will be seen in hydration, volume, and elasticity. When the injections are completed, the area is massaged to evenly spread the filler.
• Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments are used to revive collagen and to improve the skin’s texture, and often combined with dermal filler
• Intense pulsed light treatments (IPL) are used to even the skin’s pigmentation and to reduce the appearance of age spots. This is a technique that is used for improving damaged and ageing skin. A device is used to pulse the IPL light into specific areas on the hand. An internal heating of the layers of skin causes the cells to release their pigment which then rises to the surface where it is shed. This assists the skin in removing old or damaged collagen, and it stimulates production of new collagen. This improves volume to the skin, removes age and sun spots, broken capillaries and reduces wrinkles.
• Chemical peels are useful in treating age spots, uneven pigmentation, and fine wrinkles.
• Radio frequency (RF) treatments are used to stimulate collagen production to promote a healthy appearance, and this may tighten the skin in some cases. RF treatments are used to stimulate collagen production, to increase cell turnover, and to stimulate skin health. The texture of the skin improves and is smoother and has increased elasticity. Rejuvenation with RF is a safe and effective solution for every skin type.
Youthful looking hands can be achieved with treatments that are recommended by your medical spa professional. A cosmetic procedure will be medically approved and recommended based on your desired outcome, pigmentation, age, and health.